Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Intro to Yoga Planning

I am getting excited about the Intro to Yoga class we're offering at Core Pilates Richmond this Sunday. I've taught many beginners in my time as a teacher, but this is the first time I've had the chance to develop a true Introduction class on my own. I think it will be very fun, and I'm always excited to see people as they awaken to the joy of yoga.
The interesting part, though, is ... it's an hour long. What do I teach??? Yoga is so HUGE! and the most important parts aren't always the parts that beginners think they are. Not only that, how do I impart so much amazing and ultimately life-changing information to these students who are just beginning this process.
The answer is, of course, I can't do that. I have to simply start at the beginning and try to move forward. Hopefully, they'll all be hooked and they will come back. Slowly but surely the onion of yoga will begin to open for each of the students just as it is beginning to open for me and for all the teachers I know.
The best way I can think to serve them is to give them a basic introduction to the many classes of poses: Standing poses, hand balances, twists, hip openers, inversions, heart openers, and restoratives. Then if there is time add some pranayama, probably just a simple three part breath awareness. Even that task sounds daunting for only an hour long class. Daunting but completely do-able, especially if I am well prepared.

So that is my task this week. Plan out and then execute the best darn Introduction to Yoga class I can muster, and then hope it's enough to bring people back for the real deal. We're just at the tip of the iceberg.... want to go for a swim?

No comments: